Friday 4 October 2013

Boehner asks Obama to negotiate

House Speaker JohnBoehner on Friday called on PresidentBarackObamaand other Democrats to negotiate, as the shutdown of the federal government entered its fourth day.
Boehner’s comments at a press conference reflect the lack of action on either ending the shutdown or raising the debt ceiling, which may be hit by Oct. 17 if Treasury Department estimates prove correct.
“I was at the White House the other night and listened to the president some 20 times explain to me why he wasn’t going to negotiate. I sat there and listened to the majority leader in the United States Senate describe to me that he’s not going to talk until we surrender,” the Ohio Republican said.
“And then this morning, I get The Wall Street Journal out and it says, well, we don’t care how long this lasts, because we’re winning. This isn’t some damn game. The American people don’t want their government shut down and neither do I,” he said.
Source: Marketwatch

Popular Posts