Thursday 24 October 2013

Digital Indians: How Ruchi Sanghvi engineered her rise

"When I started out in Facebook, it had only 20 people. I saw it grow to a thousand employees and from five million users to over a billion users. I saw it evolve from a service that served college students to one that served the world," she says.
"It was extremely chaotic, but it was a wonderful experience. I learnt everything there."
At Facebook, she was part of the team that developed the news feed.
How was it, I asked, being the first female engineer at Facebook?
Ms Sanghvi says she was used to being in a minority: at engineering school, she was one of the five female students in a class of 150.
"But it was, by and large, a meritocracy. It had one of the best environments for learning."
But at Facebook, she says, she truly came into her own.
Facebook was also where she met her future husband, who was the first Indian engineer the company had hired.
I ask her for a story about Mark Zuckerberg, one of the founders and chief executive. She frowns, thinks hard, and says she doesn't quite like talking about Mr Zuckerberg. Then she relents.
It's a story about how the news feed launch outraged users and nearly killed it.

Start Quote

The journey from employee to entrepreneur was a complex and taxing one for an immigrant like me”
Ruchi Sanghvi
"We had less than 10 million users when news feed arrived. Mark was at a press conference [announcing it] and over a million users began protesting against it," she says.
"Groups with names like 'I hate Facebook' and 'Ruchi is the devil' had been formed. People camped outside our office and demonstrated.
When Ms Sanghvi left Facebook in 2010 after an itch to start her own company, the social networking site had more than 1,500 employees and more than 500 million users.
"The journey from employee to entrepreneur was a complex and taxing one for an immigrant like me," says Ms Sanghvi, who has been lobbying US authorities to ease immigration laws.
"When I started Cove, I spoke to three immigration lawyers who gave me a long checklist of things to do before my company could hire immigrants."
Two years later, in February 2012, Cove was bought by the cloud-sharing service Dropbox.
At Dropbox, a six-year-old company with more than 175 million users, Ms Sanghvi has diverse roles. She has led hiring - "only great people can make great products," she says - and managed marketing and communications.
Source: BBC

Popular Posts